Media Release: 12 December 2019
New multi-year agreement with Discovery cements Foxtel’s leadership in factual content
· #1 US true crime channel Investigation Discovery comes to Australia
· Expanded Discovery SVOD rights confirms Foxtel as Australia’s best source of streamed factual content
Foxtel and Discovery, the leader in real-life entertainment, today announced they have completed a new multi-year agreement covering premium factual, lifestyle and entertainment content from flagship brand Discovery Channel as well as TLC, Discovery Turbo and Animal Planet.
The deal also includes the launch of a new channel Investigation Discovery (ID) the #1 US true crime network, which finds a new home in Australia for the first time on Foxtel and launches 1 February 2020.
Foxtel-Discovery Agreement Highlights
· Premium factual content. Foxtel will be the home of Discovery’s most popular content including Aussie Gold Hunters, Gold Rush, Deadliest Catch and Fast N’ Loud and annual event Shark Week.
· Best true crime. Investigation Discovery, the number one US cable network for women aged 25-54, will come to Australia for the first-time on Foxtel. Investigation Discovery uncovers the truth behind incredible real crime stories with high-quality programming that explores the dark side of human nature. Launch titles include US hits Serial Killer: Devil Unchained, In Pursuit with John Walsh and the franchise ID Murder Mystery which focuses on high profile iconic cases.
· Australian factual commissions. Discovery will continue to commission Australian produced content for Foxtel including international hit-series Aussie Gold Hunters and Outback Opal Hunters.
· More Streaming. Thousands of hours of content from Discovery Channel, Investigation Discovery, TLC, Discovery Turbo and Animal Planet will be available to stream on demand on Foxtel including box sets of this popular content.
Foxtel Chief Commercial Officer Amanda Laing said: “This new future-fit agreement reignites a relationship with Discovery that dates back to Foxtel’s launch in 1995. The multi-genre, multi-channel, multi-rights deal has been tailored to meet the huge appetite Australians have for great factual, documentary, reality and true crime content.
“The launch of Investigation Discovery, together with our existing Crime & Investigation Channel, confirms Foxtel as the home of true crime. Along with a greatly expanded on demand library from Discovery, Foxtel has now the world’s best true crime all in one place, making access to the factual entertainment that Australian’s love easier than ever.”
Rebecca Kent, General Manager, Discovery – Australia, New Zealand & Pacific Islands said: “We are pleased to extend our long-running partnership with Foxtel, bringing Australian viewers the Discovery channels and real-life content they know and love, with additional on-demand access.”
“As a further commitment to Foxtel customers, we are launching a dedicated crime channel, bringing to life the compelling real-life stories behind real crimes.”
Ms Laing added: “This is an exciting time for our customers. The new agreements we have secured during 2019 are part of a strategy to reset our partnerships with the world’s leading content creators to provide customers with the best of TV and on demand all in one place, at the best value.”
Foxtel’s new agreement with Discovery commences on 1 February 2020.